Monday 5 May 2014

FEED ME MONDAY - The 'Best Dang Breakfast' Edition

I'm all about eating seasonally. When you buy local fruits and vegetables that are in season you a) save money because there is an abundance (rather than drawing on the mortgage to pay for seedless grapes in winter because they're more rare than unicorn poop); b) are working with nature and listening to its wisdom and c) when something hasn't had to be shipped//packed//frozen//preserved you can taste the difference. So when a seasonal shopper, like myself, sees a super special on fresh bananas because they are growing off the trees in the thousands - they go bananas and buy too many kilos.

This week - I am all about bananas. And I thought I would share my latest creation - a raw, unsweetened, nutritious, high protein breakfast bowl. Bananas are the star of this dish but you can have a play around with whatever fits. This tastes like banana bread batter. That's right, you heard me, healthy banana bread batter. Today's recipe is a close adaptation of the incredible Banana Yoghurt recipe from Nutrition Stripped.

This hilarious image was found here


The 'fit for a monkey' Banana Bowl 

3 Tbspns chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup coconut water (for approximately 15-20mins)
2 Tbspns raw cashews soaked in 1/3 cup of water
2 ripe and spotty 'nanas
1/2 to 1tspn vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg

Once your cashews and chia seeds are soaked - add them to a food processor with the roughly chopped bananas, vanilla and spices of choice. Pulse for about one to two minutes and then chill in the fridge for half an hour (I love mine cold!). I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking that heated, porridge styles, over a low heat on the stove could prove to be a delicious winter morning treat!

Blessings and banana scented kisses x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...