Monday 18 February 2013

FEED ME MONDAYS - The Bitchin Burger Edition

Phew. What a gloriously full and deliciously busy weekend! After a week with my beautiful mum, we headed north and back to Perth for a day of running, colour and festivities. I'll do a race recap this Wednesday so I'll spare you the details for now but just rest assured that it was an incredibly inspiring and motivating end to an already perfect week.

Food time my lovers!

I am so excited to share this delish vegan dinner recipe with you! I have made this derish delectable a number of times and it's the most incredible, satisfying and healthy concoction. And, yes I'll admit that sometimes I have a distorted perception of what is 'yummy' based on my obsession with health foods, BUT I have it on good authority that this IS indeed a delicious meal (from more than one other person, so HA!)

Sweet Potato and Tempeh Burger
Unfortunately my phone died last week and with it died my own photo of this meal - this image was instead sourced here!

3 small sweet potatoes
1 pack plain tempeh
1 tin beans (I used Kidney but any bean type could be substituted I would think)
Generous sprinkling of Cinnamon
1 tbspn agave or maple syrup
1 tspn balsamic vinegar
1 tspn soy sauce or tamari sauce
1 to 1 and 1/2 cup quick oats (I use gluten free)
Dash of almond milk

3-4 Tbspn tomato sauce

Steam the sweet potato until it's soft enough for a fork to go through easily. In separate bowl, soak and rinse the beans. Mash these up with crumbled tempeh and mix as best you can so it creates a relatives mashy texture (I speaks good chef talk). Take the steamed sweet potato and mash on their own, adding the almond milk, cinnamon and sweetener (agave or maple if you're choosing to do so). Then combine the potato mixture with the beans/tempeh and add remaining ingredients (except oats). Once it's thoroughly combined, add the oats slowly to ensure they get mixed through evenly. You have the option of putting the mixture in the fridge and allowing it to set a bit more or get messy and start rollin' it into patties without waiting! I've tried both ways and honestly don't think it made a difference - it's just nice to know the mixture can be made ahead of time if needs be. Take small-med amounts of the mixture and form into balls, put them on a plate and squash down with your hand or spatula to form patties. Heat a bit of oil over a med-high heat in a pan (coconut oil works best and is the healthiest option due to its high smoking point; other oils become rancid and carcinogenic at high temps). Add burger patties and cook for approx 3-4minutes on each side or until browned. It's THAT easy! My favourite burger is this patty on rye with lots of lettuce, tomato, beetroot and cucumber with a smearing of avocado and seasoned with salt and pepper - derish!

Hope you enjoy this delicious, easy to rustle up midweek dinner!

Blessings from a very full and happy tummy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...