Thursday 13 February 2014

INSPIRING SOULS - The 'Fit as a Fiddle' Edition.

Today another inspiring soul joins the ranks. This lady is the real deal. She talks the talk, walks the walk, and practices what she preaches. Jennifer Birkhead is a mama of two beautiful girls, owner and founder of 'Vivid Health and Fitness'. She is a personal trainer with a heart the size of Texas. She is on a mission to change the world and, by gosh, will she ever! Let's meet Jen.



1. Describe your health approach in three words.

Consistent. authentic. achievable.

2. How did you gain your ‘health nut’ status? 

I've been a fitness freak for a long time but my health journey evolved a lot with the birth of my two daughters. I wanted to be the best role model I could, I wanted to impart as much knowledge as I could. I wanted to empower them with this information so that being "healthy" was a very natural state for them. I am very much about walking the walk so I had to embrace this life to share it with them, and all those I meet. The way I see it is you don't know what you don't know. Don't use this as an excuse, use this as a reason to get curious. I love to learn and to share knowledge.

3. What is the most over used ingredient in your kitchen?

Used: probably coconut oil…. consumed: probably bananas - the happy fruit!

4. What have been the greatest challenges for you in your quest for total health?

As a reformed sugar freak I could say cutting out the lollies and chocolate but to be honest once I was on this path that was an easy choice as it is now all about what foods nourish me from a cellular level. 
I think probably the most challenging this has been the wanting to 'change/heal' the world NOW but having to be patient and have faith in the Compound Effect ;)

5. Who are your greatest influences and inspirations?

Influences: As a group fitness instructor I hold the Les Mills program creators in high esteem, for their energy and passion to fight globesity.

Inspiration for me comes from everything around me rather than 'celebrity'. Inspiration comes from being able to see into someone's life and what they have accomplished, what the stand for, what they do. There are MANY people I work with who inspire me daily.

As a mother my own Mum is a HUGE inspiration to me. She is so much more than a Mum, she is my best friend and my rock.

My children inspire me to be everything I possibly can in this life.


6. What has been your most radical change? 

Thos who knew me before this journey would agree that the turn around when it comes to sugar - lollies and chocolate - has been a huge one!!! 

7. Recipe for success? 

Know your 'why'. Don't do something because it's cool or because someone else told you to. Get curious ask questions and know why YOU want to do something. When you know 'why' you are doing something you will do it even when it seems hard.

Surround yourself with likeminded souls, who lift you up, not tear you down.

Live in Gratitude, everyday.


8. Describe your perfect day. 

Waking at my leisure (a novelty when you have kids! - I am a night owl…) with a view of the ocean, sun shining.
A beach walk followed by breakfast of fruit, nuts and seeds with natural yoghurt cinnamon and raw honey with my three loves - hubby and two girls.
Cuddles and giggles with the kids.
A HIIT workout.
Beach with the family to build sandcastles and play in the waves.
Healthy lunch of a green smoothie or some sort of veggie delight.
Reading.
Boardgames and bedtime stories.
Scrummy dinner (that I don't have to prepare!) a wine and great conversation with my man.

9. What are your words to live by?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
10. Message for the wannabe wellies? 

Health is the natural state of being for the human body. It is only what we do or do not do that alters that. Nourish your body, inspire your mind, embrace your life. Live like you mean it.


Blessings and abundant gratitude for today's Inspiring Soul x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...