Thursday 8 May 2014

THE POWER OF WORDS.

Found here

Oh Albus, you dog you. I'm prefacing this by saying that I am a bonafide Harry Potter nerd so any quote from the film will be received with total love and adoration BUT this one may just take the cake. Dumbledore, wise ole hunk o' man that he is, so eloquently described the power of our words. 

I truly believe that the power of our words extends far beyond those that fall from our lips but are just as powerful in written form. I adore words and language. I find it incredible how therapeutic it can be to journal your troubles; how humbling it can be to bust out a gratitude list; how much love and passion is evoked simply by reading a love letter (I have kept (& treasured) all three of the cards David has given me over the past seven years ... he doesn't share my affinity with words so much); how empowered you can feel after reading words of support or encouragement; how discouraged and saddened you can feel by someone's inconsiderate words; how angry you can become if someone shares words of hate or oppression. Words hold so much power. They allow us to create tangible connections with those in our lives and allow us to articulate and express the unseen. Magic.

Mantras and affirmations, words of empowerment and resilience that are written or spoken on a regular basis as a means of actioning change, are 'so hot right now'. A beautifully written post published on the Huffington Post explains - 

"The word affirmation comes from the Latin affirmare, originally meaning "to make steady, strengthen." Affirmations help purify our thoughts and restructure the dynamic of our brains so that we truly begin to think nothing is impossible."

Affirmations allow us to make conscious connections with our words which in turn allows up to achieve greater control over our thoughts, which then influences our actions, which then influences our patterns of behaviour, which then causes momental shifts in our psyche which manifest as positive (and often magical) changes in our lives.

I use a shit tonne of affirmations in my every day life and across a variety of situations. Some I have on automatic 'repeat' and others I will consciously remind myself of from time to time. I thought I would share some of these little life mantras with you in today's post. I seriously pop these tracks on mental repeat during situations that require me to refocus or reevaluate my energies.

+ Self Love - I love and accept myself unconditionally right now.
+ When I'm stressed - All is calm and well.
+ During Yoga - Breathe and surrender.
+ During a Run - I accept where I am & I am strong, I am fit and I am healthy.
+ If someone has upset me - I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you (x50!!)
+ General life mantra - Be the change you wish to see in the world.

What are some of your favourite words? Are you a 'famous quote' kinda person; or do you prefer single words of empowerment? I would LOVE to hear from you - share you favourites in the comments below.

Blessings and a whole dictionary full o' positive synonyms x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...